Monday, March 24, 2014

Born Pretty Water Slide Map Decal Review, Vintage Map Nail Art


This is look number two that I created using the Born Pretty Store Water Slide decals I was sent. This one is from a large selection of map images they carry. It's funny, because I didn't actually remember which map I chose till I opened the package. I got very emotional once I did, but more on that at the end of this post.

If you are interested in this particular image for yourself follow this direct link to the  Map Water Decals.


These decals are a little different then the feathers which you cut out individually. As seen in the photo above, these are one sheet. I was concerned at first how to cut them to fit. I cut a strip off the top of the section I wanted slightly wider than the three nails and slightly longer than my nail bed. I then trimmed cut it in three. The center one I rounded the top to align to my cuticle. My nails are small, so I decided to take the D in denver as part of my first finger so I wouldn't lose any letters during trimming. Once I had the sizing on the middle finger the rest was simple. I cut the edges of the map on the other two in a rough fashion and then adhered all three. HINT: once I got that one full finger settled, I kept the paper backing for sizing future manis when I go to cut them out!

As mentioned in my previous review, you can slide these around on the nail for a moment which helps to get them in the right place.


Once in place, I sponged on the darker brown polish and used a detail brush to add the charred edges in the brown and a touch of black. I really was going for the antique map look with these. I then added the little heart with a detail brush in red. Followed by topper for all fingers. The base colour for the mani is Finger Paints, Don't Make a Scene, the brown is China Glaze Ingrid. For the pinky I did the same all over, and like the tan marble look of it.



I'm hoping this last shot shows how easily I lined up the letters from the two nails. I was worried this wouldn't be an easy process, but it was simply a matter of cutting carefully and sliding it gently into place.

Cheers all, and make sure to check out Born Pretty Store and their huge selection of water decals. If you do, use this 10% off discount code UNGX31 they are offering my readers!

Now on a personal note...why the heart near Denver, and why the emotion on unpacking these? Well, my bestie and her family who we consider...well...family just announced they are moving to Denver from Canada! I literally unwrapped these two days after we found out. So Stef these are dedicated to you, and I'm going to miss you more than words...every day!

Cheers all,


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Mandy! I love it!

    xxx,
    Lelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Lelia! Wait till you see what I have up tomorrow too!

      Delete